Ep 035: Naming Your Business with Bobby Klinck
Choosing the right name can be one of the most important and time-consuming parts of setting up your business, but it can also be one of the most costly if you don’t take the right steps to protect yourself. So today’s legal mini-training is all about an area that entrepreneurs overlook far too often: trademark law.
This applies not only to naming your business, but also to naming signature products, podcasts, etc., and it’s something that every entrepreneur needs to understand to avoid expensive disputes down the line. In this episode, you’ll learn the common areas of concern where trademark law can come up, how to make sure the name you want to use (or are already using) isn’t covered by someone else’s trademark, and the crucial steps you need to take in order to protect yourself and your business.
What You'll Learn in Today's Episode
- The big step most entrepreneurs miss when naming their businesses.
- What you need to do in the beginning to avoid trademark problems down the road.
- Three places to run a trademark search for the name you want to use.
- How to protect your name once you’ve chosen it.
- Two ways to get trademark rights.
- The advantages of registering a trademark.
- Why you definitely want to hire a lawyer to help you file a trademark application.
- The pros and cons of common law trademark rights.
- Common areas of concern where trademark law can come up.
- The difference between a trademark and a domain name.
- Bobby’s caution to everyone in the online entrepreneur space.