EP 194: The Serve-First Way: Marketing Over Selling
Today is part 4 of the series on the serve-first entrepreneur way. I believe this is the best way to build an online business. This episode will focus on why we need to focus on marketing over selling and how they’re different.
Most online marketers are actually online sellers. You don’t hear them talking about the full definition of marketing from the American Marketing Association. If you read the AMA’s definition of marketing, you’ll realize that it’s much more involved and isn’t focused on selling.
Marketing involves creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings. Basically, marketing is all of the stuff involved in creating a product that has value for a customer. It isn’t focused on selling but on creating value.
Marketing isn’t just about you and the customer. It’s also about creating offerings that have value with your partners. But it goes beyond that. Marketing should have value for society at large.
What You'll Learn in Today's Episode
- What the real aim of marketing is.
- The limitations with thinking that selling is service.
- Why serve-first means spending a lot of time on things other than selling.
- Why marketing includes finding your people, building connections, understanding their needs, creating the right product and offer for them, and delivering it well.
- Why I don’t pressure people to buy.
- Why when you market the right way, you will have a thriving business.